Trinity (National Pack)

Trinity  - Lauren Dane I've tried two different Dane books - the other being Giving Chase - and I think I can safely say that this author just doesn't do it for me.Renee is a nascent witch happily bonded to an alpha cat shifter named Galen. Everything is going well for them, but Renee can't shake the feeling that something big is about to happen. That something big is Jack, Enforcer for the National Pack of wolves, and her mate.Dane never chooses a conflict to focus on, so the book ends up feeling a bit like a to do list with a half dozen mini-conflicts going on. The issue of mating with an already bonded woman is wrapped up neatly in the first third of the book, leaving the remaining sex scenes as gratuitous titillation. Sexual tension thereby obliterated, she tries to tie in mini-plots about Renee's family, her powers, Galen's family, Jack's pack, a laughably underdeveloped attraction between Galen and Jack and a short, limp suspense arc. She sticks with neither of these long enough for me to become invested.That she spends so little time integrating Jack into Renee and Galen's four year long committed relationship blew my mind. That should have been the bulk of the book! Instead, Jack shows up for supper, they all go to bed, and they're professing their undying love for each other. Double you tee eff?Dane also failed to create realistic characters and have them interact in meaningful ways. Having characters tell each other how much they love each other, over and over, is not romance. She doesn't give the guys personalities beyond "Alpha Male." I don't know what was unique about them, who they were, or how they related to each other. So far as I could tell, they all fell into bed together simply because they all happened to be characters in an erotic romance.Dialog killed me in this book too. No grown woman says "Holy crapdoodle." Especially not repeatedly.I hate to write a litany of faults, but I can't point to anything in this book that worked for me. The author's clearly not from Boston, either. The setting is hardly integrated into the story at all and could have been set anywhere, references to South Boston notwithstanding. Non-natives love to give a shout out to Southie, for some reason. Annoys me to no end.