The Skinny Rules: The 101 Secrets Every Skinny Girl Knows

The Skinny Rules: The 101 Secrets Every Skinny Girl Knows - Molly Morgan I participated in a market research project for Harlequin a while back. As a thank you, they sent us a $75 check and three books. This was one of the three.Putting aside for a moment what an insensitive and inappropriate choice a diet book is as a thank you gift, I'd like to clue you all in on something: this book is full of shit.You see, I'm a skinny woman. Have been my entire life. At my very largest, I was a size 10. Mooooo, amirite? Currently, I'm about a size 6. And contrary to the book's claim that "skinny girls live by a set of Skinny Rules" only two things have contributed to my size and shape: genetics and sheer dumb luck. There's nothing about my lifestyle than an overweight person can learn from. I drink a can of sugary soda every day. I substitute cream for milk in box mac n' cheese and add fried bacon and onions to it. Anything less than whole milk can DIAF.You see, despite the media desperately wanting the "obesity epidemic" to be a simple matter of fat people being lazy lardasses who make bad decisions, it's not that simple. Every body is different, and focusing on what you eat, rather than how genetic engineering and hormones have changed our food while our lives started to revolve around sitting for long stretches, is missing the big picture. Additionally, any book that makes dieting about body image is fat shaming, plain and simple. This book is just a guilt trip from your mother that you can hold in your hands for $12.95. It's asking you to pay for the privilege of being demeaned.And this is why a diet book is an inappropriate thank you gift. Not only is it awkward for any recipient who struggles with body image issues, it also puts a diet book in the hands of people who don't diet, and who see the book for the pile of bullshit it is.